28 Questions To Ask A Caterer Before Hiring Them For Your Wedding
Venue. Photographer. Caterer.
Those are most likely going to be the three biggest investments you’ll make as you plan your wedding. Since I’ve already discussed things to consider as you find that perfect venue, I’m turning my attention now to the caterer.
I’ve heard all types of horror stories about caterers from them saying one thing and providing something completely different to them cancelling and going out of business completely.
Let’s make sure none of that happens to you! Here are 28 important questions to ask your caterer before you say yes to them being part of your wedding day.
1. How long have you been in business?
2. Are you licensed in [insert your state here]? Does this include health permits and insurance liability?
3. How many weddings do you cater each year?
4. Do you only work with certain budgets?
5. Do you have my date available?
6. How many events will you cater on my wedding day?
7. What is the likelihood of you cancelling on us?
8. How many days before the wedding do you need my final guest count?
9. What is your payment policy? Do you accept credit cards?
10. What is your refund/cancellation policy?
11. How much of a deposit is due upon contract signing?
12. What is NOT included in the fee you will quote me?
13. Do you specialize in certain cuisines?
14. Is there a food and beverage minimum?
15. Can I taste the menu beforehand? Will you charge me for this?
16. Do you offer event packages or is everything a la carte?
17. Will you feed my vendors? If so, does that cost extra?
18. What is your clean-up/trash removal policy?
19. Are you licensed to serve alcohol?
20. How long will dinner service take? For plated and for buffet?
21. How will the food actually be prepared? Onsite at the venue or brought to the venue?
22. If our ceremony starts at 4pm, what time will you arrive for setup?
23. What décor do you provide for buffet tables?
24. What types of linens, glassware, plates, and flatware do you provide?
25. Will your team handle all table setting décor?
26. What will be your ratio of servers to guests?
27. What staff will you have onsite during my wedding?
28. How do you handle gratuity for your staff?
Asking these questions may seem extra, but trust me, it’s not. Securing a caterer can be a tricky ordeal, especially when it comes down to reading the contract. So, if you have the answers to these questions beforehand, you’ll be a lot more comfortable deciding whether to say yes to the caterer!